Standing Up for 2nd Amendment Rights
Speaker Kurt Daudt is the NRA-endorsed candidate with an A+ rating from the NRA Political Victory Fund. In addition, Speaker Daudt earned an A rating and endorsement from the Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee. This session, Speaker Daudt stood up to veto threats from Governor Dayton and led House Republicans to successfully pass legislation strengthening Minnesotans’ Second Amendment rights including:
- Legalizing firearm suppressors to help protect the hearing of hunters and gun owners.
- Preventing government from being able to seize firearms from law-abiding citizens during a declared state of emergency.
- Allowing carry permits from other states with similar permit laws to be recognized in Minnesota through reciprocity.
- Updating a provision that may have prevented Minnesotans from legally purchasing some types of guns in other states.
- Ensuring permit holders can carry on Capitol grounds.
The National Rifle Association (NRA) called the effort “a huge victory for Minnesota gun owners and sportsmen” and praised Speaker Daudt’s leadership saying, “on behalf of the NRA’s five-million members, I’d like to thank Speaker Kurt Daudt.”
Regarding Speaker Daudt’s efforts, Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee (MNGOPAC) said “Your leadership on gun rights in the Minnesota House was evident last session when you worked with our organization, our common allies, and other legislators to pass five strong pro-gun bills that were signed into law during this most recent legislative biennium. We are confident that you will continue to make gun rights a priority as Speaker during the 2017 – 2018 legislative biennium.”
Minnesotans face new attempts to restrict the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens including Democrats’ gun owner registration bill that would do nothing to prevent criminals engaging in gun-violence.